Wednesday, February 13, 2008

playing catch-up

I feel I am playing catch-up due to my recent travels overseas.  I was the victim of a stolen laptop while exhibiting at a trade show in Shanghai.  There was plenty of security (pavillion security guards with walkie talkies), but that did not seem to distract the peddlers.  Every half hour I was propositioned to buy a Rolex for the price of a good steak.  Too good to be true!  Our booth was large enough to seat ten people comfortably, but was not too big for four people to manage.  However, during an afternoon coffee run, my laptop somehow disappeared from the coffee table in our booth.  I am fortunate that it was password encrypted so none of the information should be able to be accessed, but I am guessing that they were not after the information.  Whoever took it was just looking to make a quick buck.  So for the duration of my trip, I was without my computer and more importantly I had lost all the information I had gathered on my trip.  It was a company laptop and it was insured so it only took a week before I could get a new one.  This time I will be sure to back everything up on our internal server and portable storage device.  The positive side of the story is getting a new laptop and being able to customize it.  I received a MacBook.  I am still learning the basics but I like the multimedia software which it came with.  It will be a valuable resource for doing presentations and incorporating other forms of media such as mpeg4 or video into a slideshow.  

7 comments:

Steamboat said...

I can only imagine how mad you were when you saw that your laptop was gone. I guess some people are that low to do something like that these days but i guess you will never know what someone could do on any ordianry day. Luckily it wasn't your own personal computer and that you are getting one in return.

Bigdawg99 said...

Shanghai! Sounds like tons of fun other than them damn little chinese peddlers. How exactly did someone get away with your laptop without anyone else noticing. Well it sucks that it got ripped off but at least you hadn't paid for it with your own money and it was quickly reimbersed. Those were some pretty tight features on your new laptop so i guess maybe you should be thankful to the theft other than losing all your important things on the laptop.

Anonymous said...

damn that sucks, good thing it was a company lap top and you didn't have to pay to get another on, whoever that sucks you lost all your information. But yea mac books are pretty cool when you learn how to use them. I have had my sense the summer and i still dont know how to use everything on it. good luck

Zeek said...

that really sucks that your labtop got stolen. i donr even have one so yeah that sucks too. but so you know that someone could probably figure out the pass word eventually. hopefully nothing to important. well good luck.

dearthvader said...

yea, i agree mac better than pc. just more exspensive. but if its free through the company, who cares.

Spartan117 said...

sorry to hear about your stolen laptop, i too have been the victem of an expensive thevery of my property. i had a Palm Pilot, now i know its not as expensive as a laptop but still at that time worth as much to me. its great to hear about the company replacement, i too love to get a new computer and customise it. now im not a fan of MAC's i dont like the operating system but a lap top is a laptop right. so i hope this site will give you some information on how to secure your laptop for futur travles. http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1186

Cap'n Fatback said...

Welcome to the world of Macs.

Make sure to include a picture and a link in each of your posts from this point forward, SSR. If you need help, let me know.

And yes, catch up!