Wednesday, January 30, 2008

cultural differences

Recently I attended a trade show dedicated to the cosmetic packaging industry in Asia. Business men and women traveled from across the globe to display their products or browse in search of suppliers. I would say most products were to be used locally and service the Asia marketplace. Of course companies from Europe and the US are always looking for cheap alternatives to sourcing but there are many concerns for these companies when sourcing from Asia. The socially responsible concern is that of moving jobs from their native countries. Other concerns would be the quality of the product, the logistics and the environmental impact. Most of the companies I saw or met with, are current customers; however now we will serve them as a global supplier. It is not uncommon to see business people with a Chinese interpreter; although, most companies prefer to hire someone from the area who is educated, familiar with the area and a good communicator.

As expected, the cultural differences were vast. I was very fortunate to have fellow coworkers who were willing to spend time outside of work to help me acclimate. Getting around town, communicating with the taxi drivers, ordering food - none of which would have been possible without having someone who spoke the language. Fortunately, most of the hotel staff spoke English. I look forward to the next trip and seeing the sights and taking part in more of the traditional Chinese activities.

2 comments:

Cap'n Fatback said...

Is this an catch-up for a previous post? Some good stuff, and I'm sure you can mention a little more about China (perhaps even the story about your laptop) to make up for one more post.

We should talk about the punctuation in the last few sentences of the first paragraph--there's some tweaking needed.

ForwardThought said...

I am glad your experience was a good one. I always say I will go over seas one of these days and I think it is great hearing about other peoples experience--gets my thinking about it more. Sometimes we get so caught up living in America we tend to forget their are other cultures and countries out there and hearing things like this remind us that there is just more than America. Good luck on any more ventures.